Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MtaubarJak
    #65 |

I use a Behringer Guitar Link UC6102 USB guitar/headphone interface via a camera kit USB adaptor (iPad v3, iOS 5.11) and it works perfectly with all my other apps such as Ampkit and Auria. In Anytune there are some issues. Firstly it comes through on the left channel only (the balance slider in the app cannot control this, it seems to be getting a ‘one-legged’ input). Also, once in a while there is a sudden increase in hiss on that audio input (I think this might just be on the ‘silent’ right channel). Cycling the input on/off button in the app stops this hiss (the Mic icon). Is there maybe an issue with the handling of mono inputs?
    Thank you,
    Rob,
    London UK

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #194 |

Hi Rob,

The input devices we have tried (Apogee JAM, iRig, USB headset) are mono input only. Anytune is configured to create “stereo” audio when a mono input is encountered, and that is how the balance control works.
    It seems that with the device you’re using, perhaps it is reporting itself as a stereo device even though there is only one actual channel, and as such that one channel is coming through on the left without being duplicated to the right.
    I will open a case for engineering to look into this. We do have some gain related enhancements coming to LiveMix in our next update. However, we do not have the same device you have for testing… if you would be willing to beta test our next update that would be helpful for us to figure out if we’ve solved the problem. Please email us at our support address (either in app, or from the website) if you’re willing to try a beta.
    Sean.
    MtaubarJak
    #196 |

Sean,
    I’ll be glad to beta test – I’ll send a mail as instructed.

It turns out the glitch which is reset by cycling the input on/off affects both left and right channels: there is hiss and on the left channel a degradation of sound quality, reset by cycling that ‘mic’ icon button.

R

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #198 |

Interesting – Turning LiveMix on and off does cause the audio subsystem to set itself up again, so perhaps it clears something out… 

Sean.
    MtaubarJak
    #199 |

I’ve just discovered a few things.
    The Behringer 1/4″ input is in fact stereo. If I connect the tip signal of a mono guitar lead, via a length of mono cable, to tip-and-ring of a stereo jack at the Behringer, then I get ok L+R input in Anytune. I guess that in other apps the instrument input is mono by default and those apps either take the signal from the left (jack tip) channel or sum left and right, before allowing that mono signal to then be panned across the stereo mix.
    A typical software solution for this kind of issue is to offer a ‘force mono input’ switch, with the most comprehensive solutions offering a choice of left channel, right channel, or summed channels.

I’ll experiment with my hardware solution and see if it is still subject to requiring periodic reset of the mic button due to sudden-onset hiss/audio degradation.

R

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #200 |

Thanks Rob,

Interesting to find out that there are stereo inputs like this – we’ve never had a chance to try them with Anytune. 
    In our next update, we are adding a “Mono Pan” feature to both the LiveMix input as well as to the Music playback. I expect the Mono Pan will effectively allow you to accomplish exactly what you’re talking about in terms of offering an equivalent to the Force mono input, left, right or summed by moving the pan slider. Funny how sometimes these things just seem to happen by coincidence… 😉
    Sean.
    MtaubarJak
    #201 |

Thanks Sean. By the way, the ‘need audio reset’ issue persists in stereo…

R

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #202 |

Figures. 🙁

We’ve definitely changed up a number of things in the audio input path for our next update (for instance, you’ll be able to apply the EQ to the input, as well as to the music). Whether or not they will cover off this problem, we won’t know until we/you have a chance to try it out.
    Sean.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.