Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MtaubarJak
    #66 |

I used to use a phrase trainer which had what I believe was called a ‘hold’ function. Essentially this was a really short loop, around a beat in length, which could be used to spotlight a single unclear note or chord. This was triggered by a dedicated button, and was very efficient indeed compared to fiddling about endlessly setting A and B points across such short durations. Similar functionality would be a really valuable addition to Anytune, at least for me…

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #203 |

Thanks Rob!

We’ve had a couple of others ask us for something similar. I’ve added your description to our existing feature request. 
    Would you view this it as an alternative to way to quickly set A/B and enable looping? Or would you view it as something separate where you enable the mode and it just locks on and plays a short section repeatedly (without impacting A/B and loop mode)?
    Sean.
    MtaubarJak
    #204 |

Hi Sean,
    I’d see it as something separate, and really would need to be very easily triggered. Maybe it could be added to ‘transcribe mode’ as a kind of enhanced pause button. It’s one of those things you appreciate best when you have tried it once or twice, or when you are used to it and then have to work without it. I use the function on an old Korg Pandora phrase trainer – everything else about that hardware is obsolete, but I won’t stop missing the hold function until I find an app which replicates it!
    Essentially, you hit the button, play continues for a beat and then loops back repeatedly. I guess it could be called ‘freeze’ rather than ‘hold’ – a really quick way to focus on a blurred note or unclear harmony. Rather than playing a phrase against it, as you typically would with a conventional loop, you can just keep trying single notes or chords against that ‘frozen’ sample until you feel you have juiced all you can from it in terms of pitch and harmony!
    R

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #205 |

Super – thanks. We definitely see the value, and I’ve updated our case with your extra comments.

Cheers!
    Sean.
    Tom Parent
    Participant
    #533 |

I know this post is a year old, but I’d like to “second” this request. I’d use this “freeze” feature to help me re-pitch the tune. I use Anytune to learn fiddle tunes off old records and those are often not in A=440 concert pitch.

Building on this concept, could Anytune be enhanced to automatically detect the dominant notes (frequencies) of the current “frozen” section? So if I knew the current note to be an “A” and Anytune reported the frequency was 432.87 Hz I know how much to re-pitch the tune to get it to “A=440” concert pitch.

Thanks!

TOM

Tony Wacheski
    Participant
    #534 |

Thanks for the reminder Tom,

It always helps to get refreshes/reminders on feature requests. We do have this captured in our internal feature tracking system, but we just haven’t had a chance to implement yet I’m afraid.

With respect to the pitch detection, that has also been on our to-do list for some time.

Unfortunately I do not have any idea as to when one or more of those features might appear. Sorry. 🙁

Sean.

briggity
    Participant
    #4510 |

I just wanted add my voice to the “hold” or “freeze” feature request. I am new to Anytune, and really like the modern look and feel and feature set. I have used ASD for many year and there is one feature I really miss – Hold is extremely helpful in identifying the exact structure of a chord – it is essentially a granular freeze function engaged by hitting the “H” key, which seamlessly loops the audio at that instant in time. The size of the hold buffer is determined by the audio playback buffer, and it is crossfaded somehow to make the playback smooth and seamless. This would be used in addition to the standard looping or transcribe features in Anytune, preferable with a single keystroke trigger that could be either momentary or toggle, set in preferences.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.